Dear Cohen Parents and Guardians,
We are excited for the start of another school year at William S. Cohen! Here is a list of commonly asked back to school items that may help answer some of your questions. You are always welcome to call the main office at 941-6230.
Grade 6 Orientation
- Monday, August 29
- The orientation program will begin promptly at 6:00pm.
- The orientation is for Grade 6 students and their parents.
- Tuesday, August 30
- Parents and students are welcome to stop-in between 6:00-7:00pm.
- For students and parents entering Grade 7 and Grade 8
- Grade 6 parents and students are welcome to attend to meet our specialists (Physical Education, Music, Art, Librarian, or other specialists) or to tour the building again. Grade 6 classroom homeroom teachers will not be present.
Homeroom Teachers / Student Schedules
- Students will receive their homeroom teacher in the mail the week of August 22.
- Student schedules will be distributed by homeroom teachers during the Orientation/Open House.
First Day of School
- Thursday, September 1
- Please review the forms included in the First-Day packet and return the necessary forms to school with your child (homeroom teacher).
- Students may arrive on campus between 7:50 and 8:10 a.m.
- Students may not arrive on campus early as there is no supervision.
- Students must be in their homeroom by 8:15 a.m.
- The school day concludes at 2:30 p.m.
- The office staff is available to take phone calls from 7:30 a.m. — 4:00 p.m. The school phone number is 941-6230.
- Please join us in welcoming the new members of our faculty:
- Mrs. Victoria Kasper, Science
- Mrs. Renee Perron, School Social Worker
- Mr. Samuel Picard, Special Education
- Mrs. Tamera Scharer, Special Education
- Mrs. Joy Walters, School Guidance Counselor
- Please download the Bangor App to receive push notifications about school information and updates. Information about the use of the Bangor App will be in the informational packet that your child will bring home on the first day of school as well as the BSD website.
- Please visit our website for school information and updates.
- We require very few items for school at Cohen. Some suggestions may include:
- Spiral notebook/three-ring binder
- Teachers will share specific items that may be needed on the first day of classes.
- All students at Cohen will receive a school laptop (Chromebook) and are eligible to take the laptop home.
- Please review the Student Use Policies in the First-Day Packet.
- Return the signed permission form titled Bangor School Department Laptop Home Use Procedures.
- Students must have a signed permission form for laptop take-home privileges.
Academic Pride / After-School Clubs
- Academic Pride or teacher academic support will begin Monday, September 12
- Students should check with their teachers to schedule a day/time for after school support.
- Late buses will be available to students at 4:00pm
- Sign-ups for school clubs will be announced as they are scheduled.
- Please check the school website for bus routes.
- Late buses are available Monday-Thursday at 4:00 pm to students that remain after school Monday-Thursday.
- Sign-ups for Band, Chorus, and Orchestra will take place the first days of school.
- The rehearsal schedule will be shared by the musical directors.
- Band Director: Mr. Jacob Gebhart; Choral Director: Mr. James Pushard; Orchestra Director: Mr. William Bell
- Fall sports sign-ups will take place the first days of school.
- Students trying out for a sports team must have a physical on file prior to trying out. The physical on file covers students for all three years at Cohen.
- An informational meeting for students will take place Tuesday, September 6 at 2:30pm. The meeting will conclude at approximately 3:30pm. A late bus will be available at 4:00pm
- Tryouts for fall sports will take place September 7 and September 8.
- Please email or call Mr. Ellis, Athletic Director, if you have questions about athletics. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hot lunch is available to all students.
- Please fill out the school lunch form in the first day packet.
- A la carte items are available to students daily. Students must have money to purchase the food items. A la carte items can not be charged to a student’s lunch account.
- Students are certainly welcome to bring lunch from home.
Water Bottles, Lockers, & Cell Phones
- Students should bring a water bottle to school daily. There are multiple water bottle filling stations in the building for students to use.
- Students will be assigned a locker on the first day of school. Students may access their lockers at the start and end of the day or between classes.
- Students may not carry a backpack during the school day.
- Cell phones must remain in students’ lockers during the day and be turned off. Students who need to call home during the day may use the student phone in the office.
Medications & Immunizations
- If you have questions about medications or immunizations, please reach out to Mrs. Ashley Kelley, School Nurse, at 941-6230 or email@example.com